- In such times we all must accept that there will be things that we do not know. Acknowledging the limit to our knowledge and working in times of extreme uncertainty are skills we must acquire rapidly.
- Treat this period of working as an opportunity to define goals, responsibilities and test delivery time frames within your organisation. Companies which use this time effectively will benefit in the long-term.
- Proactively say where you can give certainty and where you can’t. Commit to providing updates regularly.
- Use online tools to update team members on new information. Democratising of information builds clarity and trust.
- Get clarity on the basics: teams, plans, remote working. Complete list here:
- Creating clarity during a crisis
- Developing clarity of why, action and responsibility
- Establish a ‘state of play’ with your team and return to it each day in team meetings. The process and its result will allow for decisive ongoing action.
- Communication with your team should aim to not only provide information but to motivate and provide clear instructions. Use the 3 I’s of communication as a scaffold:
- Inspire: ensure the team understands the overall purpose of their work
- Inform: provide all information, there are no secrets in times like these
- Instruct: be clear exactly what tasks need to occur
- Don’t pretend to have all the answers, but rather do your research.
- A guide for communicating during times of crisis
Maximus Virtual Masterclass Series
In addition to the open thought leadership Maximus has created to assist during this period, we recognise that a number of leaders require a deeper and more concentrated level of support to shift mindsets and manage the new normal.
Maximus has developed a selection of virtual masterclass experiences focused on delivering the capabilities and mindsets leaders require at this time.
Click here for more information on the Maximus Virtual Masterclass Series for leaders and executives.