- Understand that practicing self-compassion and self-care during such times is important for you and the people around you.
- Keep in mind, your team will take their cues from you and other leaders in the organisation. It is important that you demonstrate the importance of self-care. Remember to get enough sleep, eat well, stay active and take care of your mental well-being through mindfulness (or whatever activities work for you).
- Remember that you are not alone – it is important to connect with your networks, your leadership peers, and leverage any support tools available to you.
- Headspace: promoting mental well-being during covid-19
- Beyond Blue: A guide to maintaining health and well-being
- Deeply understand that each team member will have their own unique and complex personal circumstances, which may cause them stress or concern.
- Encourage self-care and provide guidance on the tools and resources that can support this e.g. keeping a healthy lifestyle (enough sleep, good food and exercise), EAP, digital mental health tools and apps, etc. Headspace have great resources on this (including this Employer Toolkit).
- Be authentic with your people; balance a demonstration of vulnerability with strength.
- Ensure your team understand their health and well-being is of the utmost importance to you. Follow and communicate that you are following best practice and protocols outlined by relevant bodies (e.g. WHO, relevant public health and government authorities, etc).
- Check in regularly with your people – listen, look and seek to understand how they are feeling (this may be through their covert and overt cues – keep a keen eye).
- Headspace: a mindful approach to navigating the crisis
Maximus Virtual Masterclass Series
In addition to the open thought leadership Maximus has created to assist during this period, we recognise that a number of leaders require a deeper and more concentrated level of support to shift mindsets and manage the new normal.
Maximus has developed a selection of virtual masterclass experiences focused on delivering the capabilities and mindsets leaders require at this time.
Click here for more information on the Maximus Virtual Masterclass Series for leaders and executives.